Protection of Personal Data is of great importance for ESA, which strives to ensure a high level of protection as required by the ESA Framework on Personal Data Protection (herein the “ESA PDP Framework”) which applies in this field. ESA implements appropriate measures to preserve the rights of data subjects, to ensure the processing of personal data for specified and legitimate purposes, in a not excessive manner, as necessary for the purposes for which the personal data were collected or for which they are further processed, in conditions protecting confidentiality, integrity and safety of personal data and generally to implement the principles set forth in the PDP Framework, available at:
ESA PDP Framework is composed of the following elements:
- the Principles of Personal Data Protection, as adopted by ESA Council Resolution (ESA/C/CCLXVIII/Res.2 (Final)) adopted on 13 June 2017;
- the Rules of Procedure for the Data Protection Supervisory Authority, as adopted by ESA Council Resolution (ESA/C/CCLXVIII/Res.2 (Final)) adopted on 13 June 2017; and
- the Policy on Personal Data Protection adopted by Director General of ESA on 5 February 2018 and effective on 1 March 2018.
This notice is intended to inform you, as data subject, about:
- the identity of the data controller and contact details of ESA Data Protection Officer (“DPO”);
- the type of personal data which is collected and processed;
- the modalities of collection of personal data;
- the purpose of the collection and processing;
- the recipients (if any) to whom the personal data of the data subject shall be disclosed;
- the time-limits for storing the personal data;
- the practical modalities of exercising the rights of the data subject under the ESA PDP Framework.
This notice is also enabling ESA to obtain your consent relating to the collection and further processing of your personal data, under ESA PDP Framework.
(1) Who is the Data Controller?
Your personal data are collected and further processed as shown below upon the decision taken alone by ESA.
Thus the Data Controller is ESA.
(2) What are the contact details of ESA Data Protection Officer?
According to ESA PDP Framework, your first point of contact concerning personal data matters is the ESA Data Protection Officer (“DPO”), who may be contacted at DPO@esa.int.
(3) What kind of personal data about you is collected and further processed?
The personal data which may be collected and further processed for the purposes mentioned below is in particular:
Mandatory personal data:
- Name and surname
Optional personal data:
- Name of the company where you work
You are required not to send to the Agency any sensitive information (including information that indicate, directly or indirectly, the personnel’s ethnic origin, political opinions, adhesion to unions, parties etc., health situation, sexual orientation).
(4) How is your personal data collected or further processed?
Your personal data may be collected by various means, including:
- Your registration for the ESA Brand Centre
- Registration to receive the ESA Brand Centre Newsletter
- Submitting a communication through the Contact form
(5) Why is your personal data collected and further processed?
Your personal data are collected and further processed so that ESA can:
- provide you access to, and enable the use of the ESA Brand Centre; and to improve the content of the website;
- manage your relationship with the Agency as well as your registration and requests for assets from the ESA Brand Centre;
- reply to communication received from the Website’s “Contact us” form;
manage your data subject’s rights requests; and
- send you newsletters and information on new features in relation with the ESA Brand Centre.
- ESA also collects aggregated data regarding the use of the ESA Brand Centre. This information is used to manage and improve the performance of the ESA Brand Centre.
In addition to these purposes, the Agency may use your personal information for any of the purposes mentioned in Article 5 of the Policy on Personal Data Protection.
(6) To whom might we disclose your personal data?
The Agency will not disclose your personal data collected from the ESA Brand Centre to any third party recipient.
The ESA Brand Centre is a subdomain of the ESA website. To know more about the processing of personal data from the ESA website, please visit:
The Agency does not consider your personal data as an asset for sale and, thus, does not sell your personal data to any third parties.
(7) How long do we retain your personal data for?
The Agency may keep your personal data for as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the above-mentioned purposes. Your Personal Data shall be deleted thereafter.
Inactive accounts can be erased after one year of inactivity on your user account.
(8) How can you erase, rectify, complete or amend your personal data?
The Agency is keen to collect and process accurate personal data and to keep it updated.
You may request the erasure, rectification, completion or amendment of your personal data if, and to the extent that it is inaccurate or incomplete, having regard to the purposes for which they are collected and processed, or if they are processed in violation with the principles referred in ESA PDP Framework.
If you choose to make a request for the erasure of personal data, you understand and agree that you will no longer be able to access the ESA Brand Centre, its assets database, or any other of the services described in this privacy notice.
You may also be allowed access to your personal data and have the possibility to erase, rectify, complete or amend it, by sending a communication to the ESA Brand Centre team through the Contact us online form available at:
(9) What could you do in case of a data protection incident?
In case of a data protection incident, you should contact ESA DPO, as first point of contact, by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In case you wish to submit a complaint, you are required to comply with the Rules of Procedure of the Supervisory Authority set forth by ESA PDP Framework. You will be required to demonstrate that a data protection incident occurred in relation to your personal data, following a decision of the Agency or at least to justify serious reasons to believe that such incident occurred.
ESA Framework on Personal Data Protection:
(10) Your consent
The processing of personal data for your registration and use of the ESA Brand Centre is based in your consent. When you check the corresponding click-box at the registration form, you provide your consent to ESA to process your personal data as it is described in this privacy notice.
You can withdraw your consent at any time by sending a request to the ESA DPO (email@example.com) and to the ESA Brand Centre team at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you choose to withdraw your consent, you understand and agree that you will no longer be able to access the ESA Brand Centre, its assets database, or any other of the services described in this privacy notice.